News | 638 views

Thai Cave Rescue: A Timeline of Events So Far

Keep the good news coming.

| July 10, 2018

July 2: 13 Wild Boars finally found

Days of searching have finally brought good news as the 12 boys and their coach were finally found 400 meters away from Pattaya Beach.

They were immediately given food and first aid as the rescuers and officials planned how to get all of them out as safely and as swiftly as possible. There was a lot to consider: the length of the journey, the capability of the boys to swim and dive, the quickly depleting oxygen, and the torrential rains that could continuously flood the caves with brown murky water.

But hope was there— that was what mattered.


July 5: The first casualty

On Thursday, former Thai navy diver Saman Kunan     died  as he was delivering oxygen tanks to the victims but didn’t have enough on him to endure the eleven-hour return trip from the entrance of the cave and back. He had lost consciousness in the middle of his journey and could not be revived by his teammates.

The incident opened everyone’s eyes to the gravity of the situation and the high risks that were involved in bringing the boys out of the flooded cave complex via diving through the water.


July 7: Elon Musk offers his support

After hearing of the news, Elon Musk tweeted a plan to create a “tiny, kid-sized submarine” to help rescue the kids and even publicized videos testing it out.

However, time and weather constraints saw his noble efforts being a little too late to be considered. Rescuers decided to go with the initial plan of having the victims make the treacherous, hours-long dive alongside them outside of the cave.


July 8 to 10: The successful rescuing

On Sunday, July 8,  the daring rescue mission began at 10 A.M. with 13 divers going inside the cave. Each boy to be brought out of the cave was given a full scuba mask, wetsuit, boots, and a helmet, and would be strapped to a diver buddy.

After less than 8 hours since the operations began, rescuers successfully emerge with four boys out of 13 — the first two arriving at 5:40 P.M., and the other two at 7:40 P.M. and 7:50 P.M.

The four boys were given initial treatments at a field hospital near the cave before they were rushed to Chiang Rai Prachanukroh hospital.

On Monday, July 9 four more boys have emerged on Monday, July 9 and have been transported to the hospital.

According to The Guardian, the rescuers are now able to retrieve the boys faster than expected, with the first operation of the day which started at 11 A.M. and ended at 4:30 P.M. taking only 5.5 hours, much less than the 11-hour roundtrips divers and rescuers have been making the past week.

UPDATE: As of July 10 11 P.M., all 12 boys and their coach have been freed. The remaining divers and medic have also exited the cave. All members are at the hospital as of writing.

What are your thoughts on this news? Sound off below!