News | 1,051 views

8 Times the MRT Had to Halt Its Operations

Aberya for life.

| October 25, 2017

8 Times the MRT

Had to Halt

Its Operations

By Patti Sunio

Moments from Volleyfriends UAAP Volleyball Kick Off SHAD

Citizens of Manila are no stranger to the horrors and mystery that surround the MRT system. You may have experienced a misadventure or two (or three) yourself, or heard about it from friends, family, colleagues. Or all of the above. If not, perhaps you’ve seen the long and winding lines and passengers’ complaints on the papers, on television, or on your news feed.

Here, we attempt to narrow down the more curious times the MRT has failed us (so far):


Remember the time when a viral video on Facebook revealed a running MRT with doors wide open? Well, the train did stop for a good 20 to 30 minutes, but as the doors were stubborn and still wouldn’t close, the driver decided to keep going.

Thankfully, there was enough space for the passengers to move back to safety. Anyone who has taken the train during rush hour would know how impossible it is to follow the driver’s precaution: “Huwag sandalan ang magkabilang pinto”.



Another reason could be a random broken rail. Of all the possible MRT-related mishaps, you can consider this a lesser evil, because usually, operations are suspended only from a certain point to another, e.g. from Shaw Boulevard to Taft Avenue.

So if you’re coming from north and are working in Ortigas, you’re safe!



Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. And in the Philippines’ MRT system, it may be a case of an electrical short circuit. Its times like these that you begin to realize how dangerous your daily commute can actually be!



There are days when the lines get impossibly long, with trains nowhere in sight. And nobody knows why. You scroll down your phone for news but there’s really nothing about it. One by one, people leave the lines and find alternative commute routes.

But since there isn’t any announcement of a train breaking down, you stay in line and wait for approximately three hours. Consider yourself lucky if you get a form of “closure” and find out the next day what caused the problem.