8 Awkward Jeepney Moments that Make You Cringe
By Baxter Jacinto
There are some awkward and cringe-worthy things that could happen almost every day during a commute, especially in that wheeled hell-in-a-box we call the jeepney. Here are some of those moments.
8. When there’s two of you who reach for the bayad or sukli at the same time.
Both of you hesitate for a bit to reach for it. Then you both decide to take the initiative.
7. When you accidentally say “bayad” instead of “para.”
Then everyone thinks you’re trying to scam the driver and not pay your fare.
6. When someone says “para” and the driver does not stop.
Then almost all of the passengers shout at the driver to stop. And the jeep skids to a halt.
5. When you go in but realize there are no more seats.
When the barker says “may isa pa sa kaliwa!” and you go all the way in but realize there’s no way you can squeeze yourself into THAT space. Damn you, barker!
4. When you say “bayad” and no one reaches for it.
When you say “bayad” and no goodhearted passenger wants to help you pass it on and get it to the driver.
3. When you ask the driver “Sukli po?” and you’re ignored.
You almost sound apologetic asking for your change.
2. When you don’t have coins and have to give a 100-peso bill.
You will definitely not sound apologetic asking the driver for your change from this amount.
1. When you’re reaching for the change and it falls into the trash bin.
The battle in your head: “Should I reach down there and get it? Or do I let it go?”
What other awkward jeepney moments do you remember that makes you cringe? Share you story below!